Issued: April 2015
By applying to use the Callan Online Platform as an independent tutor
you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
1. You will provide online English language lessons using the Callan Method
to students who have booked and paid for those lessons using the Callan
2. You are an independent freelance tutor and nothing in this Agreement
shall render or be deemed to render you an employee or agent of Callan.
3. We'll contact you to arrange an online interview. If you are already
trained in the Callan Method, we'll listen to you teaching the Method
to ensure quality standards. If there are any problems we can provide you
with some top-up training.
4. If you are not already a Callan Method teacher we can offer full online
training. We will interview you online to check your suitability and to
explain more about the Method. If we both want to go ahead, we will book
you onto the next available online training programme. This costs £500
some of which can be paid in instalments once you start earning tuition
5. There is a one-off £100 joining fee which entitles you to a full
set of Teachers' eBooks and demonstration charts and the Callan Online
Guide to Online Teaching.
6. Then you'll be able to set up your Callan Online profile which
can include a brief description of your teaching experience, a photo and
even a link to a YouTube clip of you teaching The Method.
7. Enter your availability for the next few months into your Callan
Online calendar. You can change your availability at any time, subject
to bookings already received.
8. You will receive the payments made by students for lessons delivered,
less the Callan Online Commission, on a monthly basis, unless otherwise
agreed, via bank transfer to a British bank account or to a Business PayPal
account. You will only receive payment for lessons that have been completed
to a satisfactory standard and which have actually taken place.
9. You will work from home or from such other office or place of work
as you may decide. Any costs associated with this will be borne by you.
10. You will provide your own computer and associated equipment and you
will maintain the level of bandwidth to ensure that lessons can be delivered
to a satisfactory standard.
11. You will attain and maintain a satisfactory standard in the online
tuition of the Callan Method as described in the Callan Method Teacher's
Guide. If you require training the cost of the training is to be borne
12. You will undergo occasional audits to ensure that a high standard
of tuition is being maintained. This will involve a senior Callan trainer
or other appointed Callan staff member "sitting in" online on
some of your lessons. You will not be notified in advance. Some of your
lessons may be video recorded for quality, training and promotional purposes.
13. You are responsible for uploading and maintaining your own profile
information onto the Callan Online Platform. The information must be truthful
14. You will decide your availability to provide lessons. You will be
responsible publishing your availability through the Callan Online Platform.
You must keep your availability up-to-date at all times.
15. When a student books and pays for a lesson with you within your available
timeslots you must provide that lesson at the time and for the duration
specified starting at the point set out in the lesson plan.
16. You will deliver lessons as set out in the Callan Method Teacher's
Books and Callan Online Tutoring Manual.
17. You are expected to use genuine, updated Callan materials purchased
from Callan Online. You will report to Callan any indications that students
may be photocopying books or in other ways breaking copyright law.
18. At the beginning of each lesson you will log in to your account and
open the lesson plan for that lesson. You will start the lesson at the
point stipulated in the lesson plan. At the end of the lesson you will
complete and submit the lesson report (last word taught and any comments).
19. You have no obligation to correct dictations, compositions, exercises
or other work done by students.
20. You will start each lesson punctually (i.e. no later than five (5)
minutes after the scheduled time) and will complete the lesson according
to the allotted time arranged.
If problems arise
21. You will report any technical issues, interruptions, malfunction,
or student misconduct directly to Callan Online via the Platform or email.
22. If, through unforeseen circumstances (e.g.illness) you are unable
to deliver a lesson, you must "give-up" the lesson on Callan
Platform immediately so that the lesson can be provided by an alternative
tutor/teacher. You must also provide a short reason for the cancellation.
Failure to do so or cancelling five (5) or more lessons in a month may
lead to Callan removing your profile from the Platform and terminating
23. You may not refer any lesson to another tutor/teacher.
24. If a lesson cannot be completed because your computer or internet
access fails, then the lesson will be re-arranged with no additional payment
from the student or to you. If a lesson cannot be completed because the
student's computer or internet access fails, the lesson will be re-arranged
at a reduced payment agreed between you and Callan.
25. If a student expresses dissatisfaction that can be ascribed to failings
on your part, payment for that lesson will be withheld until an investigation
is carried out and the outcome is communicated to you. If the findings
indicate that you were responsible for the poor standard of tuition, Callan
may withhold some or all of the payment in respect of that lesson, or may
terminate this agreement. If the findings indicate that student dissatisfaction
was not attributed to any failings on your part, Callan will issue full
payment to you in respect of the lesson.
26. If disputes arise, Callan and you will first seek to resolve the issues
through dialogue and action as appropriate. If it is not possible to resolve
such issues, Callan or you will have the right to remove your profile from
the Callan Online Platform. Callan will pay for all lessons satisfactorily
delivered up to that date.
By applying for a Tutor Profile on the Callan Online Platform you are agreeing to these
terms and conditions.
Restrictions and legal compliance
27. You agree that you will not make or attempt to make any direct contact
with students other than for the purpose of providing a scheduled lesson.
If Callan has reasonable grounds for suspecting that you are encouraging
students to withdraw from, or reduce usage of, the Callan Online service
by offering private classes then Callan may terminate this agreement.
28. In using the Callan Online Platform and in the delivery of lessons
booked through it you shall maintain high professional and ethical standards
including, without limitation, refraining from making any statement or
commit any act which may cause offence on the grounds of race, sex, age
29. You shall not use at any time any of the trading names or trademarks
belonging to the Callan group of companies except to explain that you teach
English using the Callan Method.
30. You are not authorized nor approved to act or communicate on behalf
of Callan and you shall not enter into any contract of any kind on behalf
of Callan. You may not present yourself as having any position of authority
within the Callan organization and may only describe yourself as a "tutor/teacher
using the Callan Method".
31. You will not, directly or indirectly, without the prior written consent
of Callan, during the Agreement and for the period of six (6) months immediately
following the last lesson booked with you through the Callan Online Platform:
- - Encourage or try to encourage any student who is registered with the
Callan Online Platform to withdraw its custom or prospective custom from
- - Solicit or try to solicit the custom of any student who is registered
with the Callan Online Platform with a view to offering them lessons in
competition with Callan
- - Employ or enter into partnership or association with, or retain the
services (or offer to do so) of any tutor who is registered with the Callan
You agree that the restrictions contained in this Clause are reasonable
and necessary for the protection of the legitimate business interests of
Callan, and you further agree that such restrictions are not excessive
in all the circumstances
32. You agree that by deciding to use the Callan Online Platform you will
not be in breach of any obligations to or agreements with any third party.
33. Callan shall have the right to remove your profile from the Callan
Online Platform at any time without any payment in lieu in the event that
- - Are in material or persistent breach of any of these terms and conditions.
- - Offer, promise or give a bribe or request, agree to receive or accept
a bribe or bribe a foreign public official in connection with the provision
of English language lessons using the Callan Method contrary to the Bribery
- - Perform any action which in the opinion of Callan is detrimental to
its interests or is likely to bring it into disrepute.
34. After your profile has been removed from the Callan Online Platform,
for whatever reason, you shall cease to hold yourself in any way as being
connected with Callan.
35. You shall have no claim against Callan in respect of your profile
being removed from the Callan Online Platform.
36. Callan and you agree to comply with all applicable data protection
legislation, including but not limited to the Data Protection Act 1998
and any subsequent amendments thereto.
37. These terms and conditions and all dealings between you and Callan
Online Ltd are governed by the laws of England and Wales and the parties
submit to the jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales. Any questions?
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org